TOUR DI SIENA

SOME VISITS TO DO



TERZO DI SAN MARTINO E PIAZZA DEL CAMPO
Third St. Martin has formed along the Francigena, the road that brought the pilgrims to Rome.
The name of the village is not so random: San Martin was in fact the patron saint of pilgrims and travelers.
TOWER OF EAT
The curious name of the Tower (1325 - 1349) depends on the enormous salary of Giovanni di Duccio said Mangiaguadagni bell. At his death replaced him with a robot made of wood, metal, and then finally travertine. The remains of the latter are visible in the courtyard of the mayor, in the Government Building. Climbing over 400 steps to the top of the tower (87 meters) you can enjoy a spectacular view of the city.
Piazza il Campo, 1 Tel
0577 292223 - 226 to 342
HOURS:
01:03 to 15:10: 10.00 to 19.00
February from 16.10 to: 10.00 to 16.00
MUSEUM
symbol of independence and wealth of Siena, is one of the most important examples of Gothic civil architecture in the world.
The palace is a treasure trove of masterpieces of art. Some of the most beautiful rooms belong to the Museum and are open to the public: the Hall of the globe with the conquest of the castle of Giuncarico last work of Duccio (1315 - 1320) His Majesty (1315 - 1321) and Guidoriccio (1328 - 1329) by Simone Martini. There are inside the Chapel, the Hall of the Consistory and the Hall of Peace with images of the Good and Bad Government by Ambrogio Lorenzetti's frescoes (1338-39) where you can see the medieval town with its shops and its craftsmen. At the center of the Allegory of Good Government, a woman dressed in white armor was lying on the universal emblem of Peace chosen by UNESCO.
Piazza il Campo, 1 Tel
0577 292223 - 226 to 263
HOURS:
from 16.03 to 31.10: 10.00 to 19.00
1:11 to 15:03: 10.00 to 18.00
GAIA SOURCE
The name recalls the joy of Siena for the arrival of water at the center of the city in 1346, after nearly ten years of excavation to create a "booty" that is a long barrel-vaulted underground aqueduct. After the fall of the fourteenth-century source was replaced by that of Jacopo della Quercia, whose marble original is now in the museum complex of Santa Maria della Scala. The current source is a copy of Gaia Sarrocchi Titus (1869) and is moved ten meters from the first to center on the square.
BASILICA OF SERVANTS Begun in the thirteenth century by
Servite Fathers from Montesenario, the church was not finished when it was consecrated in 1533. The churchyard is an authentic medieval view of the city. The interior is rich in works of art, including the Madonna and Child known as "Bordone" painted in 1261 by Coppo di Marcovaldo. And 'one of the finest tables of half of the thirteenth century, but also has a curious history.
Coppo Marcovaldo participated in the Battle of Montaperti with the Florentine army and was taken prisoner by the victors of Siena.
He had no money to pay the ransom but told his captors "I know paint" and even created free to return a true masterpiece.
From Via dei Servi passing by Via San Girolamo Pantaneto to go back into street turn left immediately because dogs and cats from which you access the Goldsmiths' alley, an unspoiled corner of the old Siena.
THIRD OF CITY
NATIONAL GALLERY OF SIENA
Via San Pietro are the National Art Gallery, which houses within it the greatest masterpieces of Sienese artists: Duccio, Simone Martini, the Lorenzetti brothers, Domenico Beccafumi and many others.
Of particular interest are the tables? gold background? which begins with the luck of the great Sienese painting as the reredos of the master of Tressa.
Buonsignori Palace Via San Pietro, 29 Tel
0577 281161 - 286143
HOURS:
Monday: 8.30 to 13.30;
from Tuesday to Saturday: 8.15 to 19.15;
Sunday and holidays: 8.15 to 13.15
CATHEDRAL
The facade of the Duomo, begun in the late thirteenth century by Giovanni Pisano, provides us with all its spectacular beauty, thanks to recent restoration. On the right, in the square Jacopo della Quercia, the remains of the "New Cathedral", the Sienese tried to build before the plague of 1348 and the collapse of the soil would force them to abandon the project. The Facciatone the "New Cathedral", accessible from the museum of the Opera, climbing 130 steps, offers a beautiful view of the city.
The floor of the cathedral is a "Bible for images" with 56 panels of inlaid marble and graffiti painted between 1369 and 1547 and designed by great artists such as Matteo di Giovanni and Domenico Beccafumi. On the left the "Piccolomini Library" in the aisles and the works of the greatest Italian sculptors Nicola Pisano, Donatello, Michelangelo and Bernini.
HOURS:
1:03 to 15:03: 10.30 to 19.30
from 16.03 to 30.09: 10.30 to 20.00
1:10 to 2:11: 10.30 to 19.30
from 3.11 to 28.02: 10.30 to 18.30
CRYPT OF THE CATHEDRAL The Crypt was buried
to build on the expansion of the Cathedral. It 'was discovered quite by accident a few years ago and has paintings on the wall of the second half of the thirteenth century. The colors remained underground for six hundred years, they surprise their intensity is the same as when they were painted In local
called Ex Fonderie del Duomo-store units of the Cathedral dating from the twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
Scale of St. John Tel
0577 283048
HOURS:
1:03 to 15:03: 9.30 to 19.30
from 16.03 to 30.09: 9.30 to 20.00
1:10 to 2:11: 9.30 to 19.30
from 3.11 to 28.02: 10.00 to 17.00
COMPLEX MUSEUM SANTA MARIA DELLA SCALA
was one of the oldest hospitals in the world built along the Via Francigena to give assistance to the pilgrims coming to Rome.
its establishment by the canons of the Cathedral although legend speaks of a shoemaker who died in 898 AD Sorore
The painting cycle of the room tells the story of the Pilgrims' Hospital who took care to provide medical care but also care for abandoned children called? foundlings?.
Today is a museum complex that houses the contemporary SMS (Contemporary Art Centre of Siena), Children's Museum of Art, permanent exhibitions, conferences and exhibitions.
In the basement of the Santa Maria della Scala are the Oratory of Saint Catherine of the Night, where according to tradition, Saint Catherine went after witnessing the sick to sleep on a couch by a window visible on the left wall.
the Archaeological Museum located underground in a maze of rooms and tunnels carved into the tuff.
Piazza Duomo, 2 Tel
0577 224811
HOURS:
daily from 10.30 to 18.30
the ticket office closes at 18.00
BASILICA OF SAN DOMENICO
The building complex includes the church and convent, which began around 1225 after a visit to Siena, St. Dominic, was ended after about forty years, although the present structure of the building is due to a widening of the next half of the next century.
The Basilica of San Domenico, binds to the story of St. Catherine of Siena, in fact, inside the chapel of the mystical Sienese times would have made some of his most important miracles, while in the right corner of the nave, built in second half of the fifteenth century by the family Bensi and decorated with frescoes by Sodoma, above the marble altar by Giovanni di Stefano, is preserved the head of the Holy transported from Rome to Siena by Raymond of Capua in 1384.
Among the various works of art, a fresco in the basilica also recognized as the oldest portrait of Catherine, painted around 1375 by the painter Andrea Vanni, his fervent follower of the famous Guido da Siena Majesty, the Adoration of Shepherds by Francesco di Giorgio and the Nativity of the Virgin of Alexander Casolani.

E-Mail info@agriturismolaselva.it

Privacy e Cancellation Policy ..>